Notable for its darker flowers, Geranium phaeum Raven exhibits upright flower spikes with proud, dark purple flowers with rear facing petals, showing of the flower center on mass from a carpet of attractive, pale green foliage.
The Geraniums in the phaeum species are particularly useful in the garden for a number of reasons, they flower early in the year from April through to may and will then repeat flower later in the summer. G. phaeum is also perfectly happy from full shade through into full sun, making a great addition for any situation. It is also not fussy when it comes to soil type, being really adaptable in a soil as long as it has good drainage, this includes clay, loam, sandy and chalky soils. The flowering heights vary through the varieties but they tend to be around 70cm up to 1m.
- Height: Easily maintained to 70cm
- Spread: Easily maintained to 50cm
- Foliage Colour: Pale Green, turning darker through the season
- Flower Colour: Very Dark purple flowers
Soil Type: Moist, well drained, sandy, loam, chalk
- Position: Full Sun - Full Shade
- Hardiness: Fully Hardy once established, H7 (-15 and below)
- Type: Herbaceous Perennial