This herbaceous perennial forms a carpet of foliage from which tall flower spikes are produced, these have lavender/white petals and are exotic looking. The flowers are very attractive to insects and wildlife.
Flowering can be improved by giving the plant plenty of good soil with a deep run for the roots in full sun. Acanthus are from the Mediterranean area and are like to have their tops baked in hot sun whilst their roots are able to dive deep into the soil where there is more moisture. Replicating this environment will give you the most amount of flowers but any amount of improvement you can offer will give you more flowers.
- Height: Easily maintained to 50cm, flowering height 1.5m
- Spread: Easily maintained to 1m
- Foliage Colour: Dark green, spiny with deeply lobed leaves, very attractive
- Flower Colour: White buds and lilac flowers
Soil Type: Moist, well drained, sandy, loam
- Position: Full Sun (tolerates some shade but best flowers in full sun)
- Hardiness: Hardy once established in a sheltered spot, H6 (-10 to -15)
- Type: Semi-Evergreen
Supplied in either a 9cm pot or 2 Litre pot, please select from the drop down menu when ordering.
This plant is fully hardy and will tolerate shade. Works well in a herbaceous border and will flower more if in full sun.